Kevin is a dynamic, outgoing attorney and architectural engineer with a unique background of nearly two decades as a trial and transactional lawyer, architect/engineer, construction consultant, negotiator, project manager, and hospitality professional who drives cooperation and collaboration among various principals with a strong client focus. Kevin has worked with contractors, designers, insurance and surety companies, consulting companies, restaurant, and other law firms to ensure the success of a variety of projects while also protecting and developing claims for those entities when necessary.
Combining legal, design, and construction fluencies in commercial, residential, hospitality, education, manufacturing, subsurface, and heavy civil projects, specific competencies include:
Kevin has appeared before state and federal courts; myriad federal, state, and local agencies; and arbitration and mediation proceedings.
- Consulting Construction Attorney for the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey for the World Trade Center Redevelopment Program investigating, analyzing, and managing construction claims against the owner; providing claims and forensic analysis along with recommendations to Senior Port Authority Management to resolve claims; and evaluating and preparing matters for litigation.
- Counsel on a variety of construction litigation matters around the country including interpretation and analysis of technical disputes, delays, change orders, extra work, and time extensions; alternate dispute resolution preparation and prosecution; and surety dispute and resolution.
- Presided over the entire legal needs of a heavy civil contractor and material supplier including litigation, regulatory, general business, surety, and collection matters.
- Performed surety construction consulting of building, roadway, and subsurface projects for private owners and government agencies at the federal, state, and local levels ranging in value from $1.5MM to $140MM.
- Planned and executed innovative method for submitting a $10MM delay claim against and supported by New York State Department of Transportation.
- Recovered over $2MM in unpaid change orders for a utility contractor performed over a year earlier for Consolidated Edison of New York.
- Counseled and guided corporate controllers with financial record-keeping and profit/loss reports.
- Created and implemented method for mechanics lien claims for hospitality clients affected by the opening and closing of their restaurants and neighboring businesses.
- Developed new processes to manage financial responsibility of insurance companies.
- Recovered over $1.7MM in mismanaged payroll and union benefits.
- Analyzed legal and financial exposure including project costs, change orders, schedule delays, and potential overruns.
- Expedited, facilitated, and managed project close-out of several heavy civil projects including obtaining payments worth over $1.5MM from city and state contracting authorities.
- Managed projects to completion while ensuring construction methods and scheduling.
- Supervised funds control, timing of project expenditures, and creation of delay claims.